I woke up in San Blas yesterday morning and found out about the Tsunami warning. Being in an estuary as small as in San Blas is not be the best place to be so we took off, even though the port captain had closed the port. We pretended to not have the VHF radio on and just dumbly waved at all the people gesturing us and got off without a hitch for the safety of the sea. About 20 miles out we were pulled over by a Mexican Navy patrol boat that pointed us back towards San Blas and then took off in a big hurry towards the port. We went very s l o w l y towards San Blas contemplating how to handle this and trying to figure out how much trouble were in.
I then talked to another sailboat in our vicinity on the VHF and they had had the same experience so we decided that they were just looking out for our safety, albeit by trying to make us do unsafe things like returning to San Blas where we would not be able to get until hours after the Tsunami was supposed to hit.